If you’re like many people who suddenly found themselves home a lot more during the pandemic, you’ve likely thought about adopting a furry companion. Bringing home a pet could be a great way to fill your time, enhance your life with meaning, and ward off the loneliness that many of us are struggling with right now. But before you take the plunge, make sure you’re prepared! From building a pet care budget to stocking up on innovative products from companies like Petique, keep reading to learn how you can get your home and life ready for your first pet.
Preparing Your Home
Your new pet can get into a lot of trouble if your home is ill-prepared. Purchase supplies and pet-proof your space before bringing them home!
- Purchase a few basic pet supplies including toys, bedding, and food and water bowls.
- It won’t hurt to have a few cleaning supplies on hand as well.
- Pet-proof your home to keep your furry friend—and your stuff—safe.
- If you’re adopting a dog, make sure your yard is safe and secure.
- Hire a contractor to install a fence around your yard so you can keep your dog inside and wildlife out.
Preparing Your Life
Becoming a first-time pet owner can feel a little overwhelming, so make sure you’re ready for everything to come.
- Understand the responsibilities involved in pet ownership.
- Take the time to find a pet type and breed that fits your lifestyle.
- Build a realistic pet care budget and find ways to save on everything from grooming to veterinary care.
- Consider getting pet insurance so you can cover emergency expenses in the event of an accident or illness.
- Start learning how to teach your new pet basic commands and obedience.
- If you work long hours, find a local dog walker or pet sitter who can visit your home during the day.
Pet Care Basics
Make sure you’re clear on the basic care needs of your new furry friend so you can keep them healthy.
- Pets need healthy food that fills all of their nutritional needs.
- Make sure your pet has access to fresh drinking water at all times.
- Oral hygiene is also very important to the long-term well-being of your pet.
- A dog will need plenty of regular exercise to stay fit, healthy, and happy.
- Dogs and cats also require mental stimulation for good cognitive health.
If you’ve always wanted a pet, the coronavirus pandemic could be a good opportunity to make those dreams a reality. With the right preparations, you and your pet are bound to have a wonderful life together! Ready to start shopping for supplies? If you’re looking for sustainable, non-toxic, and fun pet products, check out Petique!
Written by: Aurora James
About Petique, Inc.
Located in Ontario, California, Petique, Inc. is a women owned business specializing in non-toxic pet supplies and consumables that help your dogs, cats, and small animals live a longer and healthier life. As pet owners, we share a passion in creating a safe, healthy and fun environment for your furry family members. We strive to create high quality pet products that conserve ecological resources whenever possible, while avoiding depletion of natural resources. With more than 30 years of experience in manufacturing, product development and design, we take pride in creating eco-friendly and non-toxic items, reliable travel gear and innovative products. Contact us today, visit our website or call (909) 673-0998.