Looking for a dog treat recipe that's easy to make and only needs three ingredients? LOOK NO FURTHER! We have a simple recipe that requires little effort to make. Our No Bake Peanut Butter and Sweet Potato Dog Treat recipe will be your go to recipe for those peanut butter lovers! The three ingredients we will be using are peanut butter, oats flour and sweet potatoes. We chose these ingredients because of the health benefits they have for your pets!
Regular peanut butter found in markets usually have xylitol, which is a sugar substitute found in lower or sugar-free products. Xylitol is toxic for dogs. So if you do end up using store bought peanut butter, please make sure it doesn't contain xylitol or any additives. Peanut butter contains heart healthy fats, vitamin B and vitamin E. It's also a great source of fiber and protein.
We love using oats when we make dog treats because oats are a great alternative carbohydrate for dogs that may be sensitive to wheat or grains. Oats contain vitamin B, which helps maintain a healthy coat and keeps your dog's skin strong and healthy. It's also a great source of fiber, making it great for dogs with bowel irregularity issues. Make sure the oats are cooked before serving to your pets.
Sweet potatoes provide an excellent source of dietary fiber, which helps the digestive system function more effectively. Eating fiber on a regular basis lowers the risk of heart disease and certain types of cancers, Sweet potatoes are one of the best dietary sources of vitamin A, which promotes healthy skin, coat, eyes, nerves, and muscles in dogs.
As with all treats, it's best to let your pups enjoy while under your supervision. Different dogs react differently to ingredients, so keep a running list of your pup's allergies, avoiding those ingredients when making homemade treats. Similarly, dogs tolerate hot and cold treat temperatures differently, you know your dog best.
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- Make sure the only ingredient is peanuts
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- Put sweet potatoes in boiling water for 15 minutes. Poke with fork to check tenderness.
- If you don't have oat flour, you can just blend old fashioned oats until they become a fine powder. Mix occasionally.
- Once sweet potatoes are cooked, peel skin off (sweet potato skin is harder to dogs to digest) and lightly mash the potatoes with a fork.
Combine all 3 ingredients in a mixing bowl until well incorporated into a dough.
- Spoon dough into individual molds, gently pressing with the back of the spoon or your fingers to make sure it's evenly filling out the shape of the mold. Tip: roll any leftover dough into small balls for any four-legged taste tasters ready to sample nearby.
- Allow the molds to rest in refrigerator or freezer for 30 minutes to firm up before removing each treat.
These protein-packed treats store well refrigerated in an airtight container for up to one week and for extended periods when frozen in zipper bags.
We'd love to hear from you in the comments section below if you give these no-bake dog treats a try, if you have ideas for different variations and how your pup likes them!
About Petique, Inc.
Located in Ontario, California, Petique, Inc. is a women owned business specializing in non-toxic pet supplies and consumables that help your dogs, cats, and small animals live a longer and healthier life. As pet owners, we share a passion in creating a safe, healthy and fun environment for your furry family members. We strive to create high quality pet products that conserve ecological resources whenever possible, while avoiding depletion of natural resources. With more than 30 years of experience in manufacturing, product development and design, we take pride in creating eco-friendly and non-toxic items, reliable travel gear and innovative products. Contact us today, visit our website or call (909) 673-0998.